Yes, my life is in transition. I am now getting used to life as a widow. What will this bring? Time will tell.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hollyhocks from Russia


My mom sent the hollyhocks, two of them. They arrived in a granola bar box all wrapped in wet paper towel and newspaper. The roots were encased in the good old red dirt from Redding, CA. One leaf got bent, but, other than that, all was fine with them.

She had told me that a lady that runs a nursery in Dunsmuir, CA gave starts to her. This was years ago....I don't know how many. But, if my mom is running true to form, it has been a really long time ago. Whenever my mother has moved her plants go with her. My dad had made plenty of trips to a new house with the back of the pickup full of plants. My brother brought the last pickup full from Montana when my mom moved back to Redding last year.

The Russian Hollyhocks are now planted in small pots and set in the plant nursery until Spring. I'm going to plant them in a prominent place. I want everyone to see them. I think they are special. I'm proud of my Hollyhocks with ancestors in Russia.

No comments: