Yes, my life is in transition. I am now getting used to life as a widow. What will this bring? Time will tell.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Gyotaku (gee-oh-tah-koo)



Make a fish print


This is a sample
that I got from the Chesapeake Art Gallery. I thought
you might like to see the real thing.
I think these prints are beautiful. Gyotaku is a
Japanese art form for printing fish. I've read several
accounts of how it started but this one is my favorite.
Gyotaku was used to keep a record of the fish caught in very
early Japan.
No fisherman's tale with this kind of record.

When I saw this stamp available in the past sale at Inka Stamps,
I just had to get it. Unfortunately, Inka is no longer selling stamps. But,
she has some wonderful collage items, some freebies, and a very
interesting blog.


This is my version of Gyotaku. Both stamps used are Inka stamps.
I stamped using a multcolored stamp pad but I think next time
I will sponge on the ink and make it more like a real fish.

To see more samples of this type of stamping here is a
gallery by Fred B. Mullet. He also does some beautiful nature prints.
He carries a line of stamps also.


6 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

this is super. you are just so creative. i like that you think outside the box because you get me to think.

luv ya,

hugs,

Denise Clark said...

Wonderful card, Jeanette! Love the colors and the technique! Very nice!

Janine said...

This is fabulous!!

Denise Clark said...

Jeanette, you are the winner over at Stamping Vacation's Viva La Difference Challenge! Send me your snail mail address and I'll get your package out to you!

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Wow Jeanette!! Now this is way cool!! I love the colors on your fishy!! ;)

gg designs said...

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place!

With so much to see, how EVER do you get off the computer?

Thans for inviting me to "Blog Hop." Definitely out of my comfort zone here, but willing to give it a try. I'm already in overload with all the images : ) (I "addle" easily.)

You have SUCH variety! Very nice.

Charlotte